There is no reason for aging or a disability to restrict your independence and quality of life in your home. And, the good news is, independence is within reach with new accessible accessories that can be installed in your home without having to do a full remodel.
Older people who want to age in place in their homes and people with mobility challenges are switching out cabinetry, counter tops and stove tops with accessible accessories. These pull down, roll under, slide out, and light up accessories make everyday tasks easier and safer, whether you’re standing with a walker or sitting in a chair or wheelchair. In addition to easy access, these products are about freedom, comfort, flexibility, and self-reliance. Here is a sampling:
5 Accessible Accessories for Independent Living
- People love to gather in the kitchen. A stove with adjustable height allows you to fry, boil, simmer or sauté from a seated position.
- Reaching deep into a cabinet can be a challenge and could result in a fall. A slide out cabinet can give you easier access to pots, pans, and mixing bowls.
- For many, tall kitchen cabinets are difficult, and in some cases, impossible to reach. Pull-down shelves can solve this problem, along with electric opening doors.
- Remodeling your existing cabinetry from reach in to slide out cabinetry will make it possible for you to efficiently access the items you need from a seated position.
- Light up cabinetry can make it possible for people with diminished eyesight to easily find what they need in a shallow or deep cupboard.
Be self-reliant and cut down on your calls for help. Access Design + Build loves finding the right accessible accessories to meet a client’s needs. During your complementary home visit – we’ll listen and learn about you. You’ll share your challenges and together, we’ll choose accessible accessories to overcome them.